6 Most Common Problems with Cub Cadet XT2 (Easy Solutions)
Cub Cadet is a brand that makes a huge array of riding tractors and mowers, and the XT2 sub-compact tractor is one of the most sold models among these. Despite its good performance and reliability, the XT2 does suffer from some problems.
The Cub Cadet XT2 is a sub-compact lawn tractor that is quite efficient and popular. But, it can suffer from a few common problems like damaged starter solenoids, spark plugs, and clogged air filters. Of Course any one of the problems may hamper your precious working hours.
Thus, this guide is for you if you own a Cub Cadet XT2 tractor and are looking to troubleshoot all the problems with possible solutions. Read on!
What Are The Common Cub Cadet XT2 Problems?
Like other lawn tractors from Cub Cadet, the XT2 can also suffer from several problems.
Below we will discuss all these issues for you, as without knowing the exact root of the problems, you won’t be able to solve the problems
- Damaged Starter Solenoid
- Damaged Spark Plugs
- Clogged air filter
- Problematic Fuel Cap
- Uneven cuts
- Damaged Battery
6 Solutions For Cub Cadet XT2 Common Problems:
So far, we have seen all the common problems faced by Cub Cadet XT2 tractors. Now we will discuss these problems in detail along with their solutions.
1. Damaged Starter Solenoid: Replace the starter solenoid
The starting engine receives more electricity when the solenoid shuts a circuit, which energizes the starter engine and allows the Cub Cadet XT2 engine to start. Over time the starter solenoid can get damaged.
When the solenoid goes bad, the XT2’s engine can have a hard time starting. Sometimes, the circuit wires can also break down. Read below to learn how to fix a damaged starter solenoid.
- Step 1: First, open your tractor engine and check if there are any broken or open wires in the starter solenoid. If you find any, simply replace the wires.
- Step 2: if the problem still exists, then you should check your starter solenoid coil. Use a multimeter to measure resistance; if the reading is zero, your solenoid coil has gone bad. You cannot fix a damaged coil and need to replace it.
You can either replace the starter solenoid by yourself or in a service center. If you do it yourself, the cost can be anywhere from $20-150. But, if you do it outside, it can cost around $100-$200.
2. Damaged Spark Plugs: Replace Damaged Spark Plugs
A spark plug’s function is to serve as a location for an electrical arc that is strong to ignite the fuel and air combination in the engine’s combustor. As it continuously mixes air and fuel, spark plugs tend to get damaged over time.
Cub Cadet XT2’s Spark plugs cannot be repaired, and you will need to replace them. Down below, we will discuss how you can replace the spark plugs.
- Step 1: Open your engine cover and disconnect your batteries before removing the spark plug. Make sure that your engine has properly cooled down before the removal process.
- Step 2: The spark plugs are usually placed at the right or left side of the engine in your Cub Cadet XT2 tractor. Open any spark plug wire and unscrew it with a spark plug socket.
- Step 3: Take a new spark plug and screw it back in the old one’s place which you have removed in the previous step
Replacement spark plugs for your twin cylinder engine of XT2 can cost around $15-$40.
3. Clogged Air Filter: Clean Or Replace Clogged Air Filter
Air filters filter out dust and debris from the air when air enters your tractor’s engine. If your Cub Cadet XT2’s air filter gets damaged or clogged up, then the engine can have problems running smoothly.
You can either clean or replace your air filters easily. Air filters are really cheap and only cost around $3-$5 to replace.
Follow the steps below to know how to clean and replace your clogged air filters.
- Step 1: Open up the hood of your engine in your Cub Cadet XT2 tractor and look for the air filter housing.
- Step 2: After you have found the air filter housing beside the engine, you will see an air filter cover; remove the cover and open the air filter.
- Step 3: Blow some air into the clogged air filter to remove all dust and debris. But if you do not want to take the hassle of cleaning it, replace the filter with a new one.
4. Problematic Fuel Cap: Replace Fuel Cap
Openings are on fuel caps. Your Cub Cadet XT2 won’t take sufficient gas from the fuel tank if they are damaged or blocked. This is a pretty prevalent issue with this particular brand of lawn tractors.
You can try to clean the fuel caps before buying a replacement cap. New fuel caps can cost in a range between $10-$20.
- Step 1: Open the fuel cap and take a thin wire. Pass the wire through the holes to try to open the vents and remove any residue from them.
- Step 2: Use some carburetor cleaner and spray them on the fuel cap and clean the cap properly using a soft cloth.
- Step 3: If the problem was due to the dirty fuel cap, it should get fixed now. However, you will need to buy a new fuel cap if the problem remains.
5. Uneven Cuts: Level The Cutting Deck Properly
If you notice that your lawn is having step and uneven cuts while mowing with your Cub Cadet XT2, then your cutting deck can be uneven.
Another common reason can be due to dull blades. If it’s due to dull blades, simply resharpen the blades.
Fixing your cutting deck level is really simple, and you can easily do it by yourself. Follow the steps below to know how.
- Step 1: Turn off your tractor and disconnect the spark plugs. Now measure the tip of the blade from both sides.
- Step 2: The measurements from both ends must match because the cuts would be unequal if they didn’t.
- Step 3: You will find bolts on the deck; loose or tighten them according to your requirement so that the blade height is the same from both sides.
6. Damaged Battery: Clean the battery terminals or replace the battery
Charged batteries are important for your Cub Cadet XT2 to start initially, and if you leave your tractor ideal for very long, the battery can get damaged.
The batteries can also have loose and corroded terminals. Replacement batteries for XT2 can cost anywhere from $59.99-$70.
- Step 1: Open the battery from your tractor and check the battery terminals for corrosion and rust. Suppose you see any rust on them. Clean them with a baking soda and water solution.
- Step 2: If your battery still doesn’t work, then take a multimeter, and you should see a rating of around 12V; if you see a rating any lower than that, your battery is probably dead.
- Step 3: Before buying a new battery, recharge your old ones to see if you can get them to work. If not, then it’s time to replace them.
We have discussed all the common problems and solutions for Cub Cadet XT2 tractors. Down below we will see all the Faqs related to our today’s discussion.
Why is my Cub Cadet XT2 giving step cuts?
If your XT2 tractor has step cuts, then there can be two reasons for it. The first reason is uneven deck height on both sides of the tractor; make sure the blade height on both sides is the same. Another reason is probably worn-out and dull blades.
Why does my Cub Cadet xt2 not engage the blades?
The XT2 blades will not connect if the PTO clutch is not receiving power and the clutch solenoid is damaged or burned out. You must repair this clutch if it becomes broken since the PTO switch powers the PTO clutch.
Why is smoke coming out from my Cub Cadet XT2 tractor?
When too much oil goes into the cylinder through the crankcase, your Cub Cadet XT2 will start to produce more smoke than usual due to the high amount of engine oil burning. Also, if your oil is of low capacity, this can happen also.
Why does my Cub Cadet XT2 stop while running?
If your Cub Cadet XT2 stops while running, this can be due to various reasons. The reasons include damaged spark plugs, clogged fuel filters along with damaged fuel lines. There can also be loose spindles and bearings.
A Cub Cadet XT2 is a powerful Subcompact tractor recommended for commercial and private uses. But as it ages, it will start to show some problems, as we have discussed in this guide. These problems usually occur due to improper maintenance.
But, not to worry, as all these problems can be easily solved at home only if you have the basic knowledge of the internal components of your tractor. However, if you cannot do it yourself, take your tractor to a good service center, and it will cost you more.
On the contrary, if you decide to troubleshoot the problems at home, then make sure to read our guide well, and your Cub Cadet XT2 should be running in no time.